A Tradition of Family Ownership and Manufacturing Excellence Since 1878
Seven generations after entrepreneur Henry Hudson Barton began turning garnet from New York State’s famed Adirondack Region into sandpaper abrasive for the building of post-Civil War America, his descendants continue to transform the same dark red, crystalline ore — the hardest garnet in the world — into crushed abrasives for the 21st century.
BARTON is a business steeped in tradition, but always evolving to meet the needs of a changing world. A business committed to continuous improvement and the investments that make it possible — investments in people and products, quality and service, safety, and environmental protection. A business that values family and community. A business where modern technology and ancient minerals work together for the benefit of society.
History of BARTON Mines Corporation
BARTON Mines was established in 1878 by Henry Hudson Barton, the founder and first president. The original mine was located near the summit of Gore Mountain in the Adirondack Park of northern New York state. Mining operations were initially limited to the warmer months; however, ore was transported year-round, with much of the hauling done by sleigh during the snowy Adirondack winters. In the early years, the raw garnet was transported by train from North Creek, New York, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for crushing and processing. The company made major investments in the mining operations in the early 20th century and began year-round operations in the late 1920s.
In the early 20th century, BARTON garnet was used primarily as sandpaper abrasive for woodworking. The business has evolved, but more than 140 years later, we still provide high-quality Adirondack garnet to select sandpaper manufacturers for the discerning woodworking craftsman.
BARTON’s business is built on the responsible use of natural resources.